The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Fire academy

For our first eight weeks we are going through an accelerated fire academy as there are a couple of guys who have no fire experience and for all nine of us to get used to working together. We have drill ground fire days three days a week and operations tasks two days a week. I'm loving the review of it all and the good physical work that comes along with it. Below are some random photos from a couple of fire academy days. Hopefully we'll be doing live burns the next few Fridays so I'll try to get some good photos then!

Practice hitting the hydrant...


...hose evolutions...


...reloading the preconnect attack lines, over and over and over...


...me and my paramedic squad partner Sean in front of one of our fantastic new ambulances...


...laying out hoselines up the stairs...

...a less than attractive me towards the end of the day!

We are all learning a lot and having so much fun together. I feel so fortunate to be working so closely with such a great group of people. And the best part is, it's only going to get better as time goes on!!!

7 comments:

Charlie Cooper said...

Exactly how yummy did you smell in that last photo? --Rob--

Jay said...

the longest weeks of your life

Suz said...

I am glad that this is your 'thing'! Please find mine!

Trish and John said...

I'm certain Rob that I was smelling as fresh as a dewdrop sprinkled with sugar! It's not hot and summery yet so it wasn't actually bad. However, tomorrow we burn so I should be smelling good and sooty for a good few days...love it! I could send you a sock if ya like.

Jar, I'm certain the longest weeks of my life are going to last for another year as I get through P-school. Fire academy is nothing compared to that hoo-ha. :-)It was great to talk on the phone the other night. Be safe out there.

And Suz, you have yours...food storage shelves...duh. ;-)

Charlie Cooper said...

this is jared using robs computer just remember you are the one who wanted to be a street nurse

Trish and John said...

No nursing here, I don't do catheters and other such nonsense. :-)

Meghan said...

the wearing of the uniform looks miserable. no moremiserable than pantyhose. lucky i wear neither...