The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Back on the blogger again!

It seems that somehow it's been nearly two years since I last blogged about my experiences and adventures in Antarctica. How incredible that time was and where has the time gone in between!?! Well, in the last two years my life has not been nearly so interesting but very fulfilling and busy nonetheless...

Today I worked my last full-time shift at Pridemark Paramedics where I've worked on the ambulance in a fairly busy 911 EMS system for the last nearly three years. It was a bittersweet day for several reasons. I have learned so much from several really amazing paramedic partners about medicine, pre-hospital care and how to provide it with skill and flair, dealing with and appreciating people from all walks of life (we all have something to share and teach), and just how many people either don't wear underwear or really could be less interested if they have pants on when they go to the hospital. I tell you, you really can't make some of this stuff up. I'm going to miss spending my days at hospitals, cursing oblivious drivers, staring at parking lots, singing with elderly demented patients, going on walk-about in the grocery stores to prevent DVT's from sitting too long, experiencing the sheer joy of finding both a cold Diet Coke in a can AND an applesauce container in the fridge of an EMS lounge (honestly, I couldn't have been more excited!), playing on the playground and swings of elementary schools, and most of all sitting next to and getting to know some fantastic people in the ambulance for 12 hours straight each day. Thanks Nick, Christi, Josh, and Matt for helping me to get where I am today. You're all amazing! :-)

I am excited now for the new challenges and huge changes that are taking place in my life. I started Paramedic school on January 17th and start a new career as a full-time paid Firefighter/EMT/Engineer at Louisville Fire Department where I've been a volunteer since July of 2003. It's a busy time for me, scary in many ways, but I am so excited about what is to come and feel so fortunate to have these opportunities.

Although I do think that I may have been the family's founding blogger, in order to be the winner of the poll on mom's blog (not that I'm the least bit competitive or anything), I now have become a born again blogger! Ha...

Finally, and most importantly, please keep my sweet little 8 month old nephew, Charlie Cooper, in your thoughts as he is fighting like a champ for his life in the PICU at Primary Children's Medical Center with bacterial meningitis. Click here to get to his blog. Charlie the world is pulling for you!

9 comments:

Raabarino said...

Sport, what a pleasant surprise. It was fun to read something that didn't have anything to do w/ sick babies for a while. Welcome back.
-Rob

Suz said...

As you know, my attention span is short. We are going to need some photos!

Meghan said...

good luck at work today. yahoo. but technically, erin won the poll on moms blog. she started one last week...

Anonymous said...

I feel I deserve some credit for your lifes Pursuits. Is it possible that my actions on that cold february morning on Highway 89 caused you to say to yourself..." hey I could do that".... that was a shitty day. Thanks for the memories Trish ;)

Trish and John said...

Erin, damn you for winning the poll, that's what I get for procrastination, huh?! Good on ya.

And Troy, it's funny you mention that fateful crash day as I just thought about that a week or so ago for the first time in years! It was a shitty day indeed and I felt so terrible about your truck. So, in respect and deference to that day and to you, I am happy to share the credit in my new career as a firefighter with you! Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Finally I beat you people at something!!! I know you truly miss teaching. It's parent teacher conferences this week... jealous?

grandpadavidpeggy said...

We are so proud of you and also have you in our prayers as you begin this new adventure.
Go Trish!

Anonymous said...

Hey dont feel too terrible about my truck. It still worked. Then my dad ended up giving the damned thing away to a bunch of Tongans who needed a truck! WTF? From then on our ride was a 1978 Dahtsun. Good Luck in your new career, im sure you will be great.

The best part of that day was when the officer asked all three of us if we were wearing our seatbelts?...."uhhh yes sir Officer, we were wearing them" I realized at that moment that the seat belt statistics might be somewhat skewed based on the fact that there arent many people who after getting in a wreck are going to admit to not wearing seatbelts in order to avoid yet another ticket. Not to say that seatbelts arent safe. But it was interesting to note.

Shani said...

Welcome to the dark side Trisha!