The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Scoopin'

Last night I finally got to experience the summer job of nearly all my siblings as I "scooped" at B&R, aka. Baskin Robbins. It was 31 cent scoop night to benefit the National Fallen Firefighter's Foundation and several of us from the fire department volunteered our hours to scoop. The lines were impressive, in and out of the store and all the way to the end of the shopping complex. People go nuts when something is up for a cheap price! Some people were coming in with extended family and going home with ten scoops each. Obscene really... I was happy to see that Rainbow Sherbet, Mint Chocolate Chip, and Butter Pecan are still favorites. Although I was a fan of Pop-Rocks candy as a child, the mere sight of green and purple ice cream with multicolored nuggets was a bit nauseating. As was the pink and purple Cotton Candy flav. Wrong. Anyhow, it was surprisingly fun. I'm sure I served up hundreds of scoops and ended up with blisters threatening my scooping hand (no thanks to Cookie Dough and Mint Chocolate-Chip, who knew ice cream could be so hard??) I'll be curious to hear how many scoops were sold and how much was raised for those who've lost a family member in the line of duty. The most impressive feat of the night was that I left without so much as a taste of the deliciousness we call B&R crossing my lips!

There were about ten people scooping and one register...not the most efficient system.


Early in the evening before the fancy cones ran out. People are gluttonous!


Love the fancy apron and uniform combo!?

5 comments:

Meghan said...

oh boy oh boy. we considered venturing out for the cheap cheap treat, but i figured with 3 3 and under i would pay 2 bucks a scoop, but it nearly killed me to stay away. as far as who knew mint chip and cookie dough suck to scoop.. that would be suz. erin. rob. meg. Makes you enjoy it a bit more, huh? and try this, work there for 1 month without a taste of the deliciousness. i tied a bet with april taylor. we had to treat ourselves to dinner (the grand prize) since neither of us broke. love the pics. wish you had one of the throngs of people... and that was CO. can you imagine UT?
ps. this is a reminder for amanda to get a high school job. we all had one. you are no exception sister... there is a car without gas with your name on it...

Meghan said...

PS - did you all have your food handlers permit? I am gonna sue somebody if not...

i never worked a day without mine ;)

Charlie Cooper said...

sport call me stat. rob.

Peggy said...

It was just a matter of time before you got to live the B&R dream. I am truly impressed that you didn't even taste the ice cream. That is why you still look so young and beautiful.

Hope you made lots of money for the worthy cause! Love ya,

Meghan said...

new post please